I want to help the future. The past is past and was busier than I would have liked. The present is upon us and is full-on. But the future has yet to happen and can be influenced by what we do now. Anything I can proactively do ahead of time to make my future, and other peoples futures, a bit easier I am going to do it.
The old saying, ‘A stitch in time saves nine’ sums this idea up beautifully. As does ‘Measure twice, cut once’ and ‘The early bird catches the worm’.
There are opportunities every day to do little things that will have a big impact down the track. Things that make your life easier when you get to that point. Things that make life easier for someone else. But we are often so busy that we overlook these opportunities and end up paying for the oversight later. I cannot say that I have nailed this discipline, but I strive every day to be proactive in service of a better future.
Some examples are:
- Sending out meeting agendas early
- Responding briefly to requests to set up an expectation about when I will do the work
- Taking time after meetings to capture my thoughts and any next steps
- Pulling out a weed in the lawn when I see it
- And yes, restocking the toilet rolls in the cupboard when they get low
Working with a proactive mindset takes effort and commitment. But I reckon it is worth it. So, what are you going to do today to make your future a better one?